Indexes of surgical quality in gastric cancer surgery: experience of Latvia Oncology Center

Armands Sivins, Guntis Ancans, Corrado Pedrazzani, Georgijs Moisejevs, Viesturs Krūmiņš, Viesturs Boka, Franco Roviello, Marcis Leja

Research output: Contribution to journalMeeting Abstractpeer-review

Abstract

Background: The proportion of postoperative complications (PC), splenectomies (SP) and blood transfusions (BT) have been described among the indexes of surgical quality in gastric cancer surgery. The aim of this study was to analyze the effect of PC, SP and BT on short- and long-term results of a large cohort of gastric cancer patients.
Methods: Retrospectively collected data from 479 patients who underwent R0 gastrectomy in Latvia Oncology Center from January 1999 to December 2005 were analyzed statistically.
Results: PC were more frequently observed in males (18% vs. 9%; P = 0.005), patients aged ‡68 years (20% vs. 8%; P < 0.001), ASA 3–4 (20% vs. 10%; P = 0.004), tumors requiring a proximal or total gastrectomy (24% vs. 17% vs. 11%; P = 0.089). SP was performed in 33 patients (7%). SP was carried out more frequently in tumors infiltrating the serosa (9% vs. 4%; P = 0.043) and treated by total or proximal gastrectomy (13% vs. 9.5% vs. 2%; P < 0.001). BT were required in 39 patients (8%). BT correlated with male gender (12% vs. 3%; P < 0.001), age ‡68 years (12% vs. 5%; P = 0.007), ASA 3–4 (13% vs. 5%; P = 0.002), proximal or total gastrectomy (19% vs. 13% vs. 4%; P = 0.001). Considering overall long-term results, patients without PC showed a better 5-year survival rate (53% vs. 34%; P = 0.001), as patients without BT (52.5% vs. 28%; P < 0.001) and without SP (52% vs. 36%; P = 0.025).
Conclusions: After excluding postoperative deaths from survival analysis, SP, BT and PC did not affect long-term prognosis.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)383
Number of pages1
JournalHelicobacter
Volume15
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - Aug 2010
Event23rd International Workshop on Helicobacter and Related Bacteria in Chronic Digestive Inflammation and Gastric Cancer - Rotterdam, Netherlands
Duration: 16 Sep 201018 Sep 2010

Field of Science

  • 3.1 Basic medicine
  • 3.2 Clinical medicine

Publication Type

  • 3.3. Publications in conference proceedings indexed in Web of Science and/or Scopus database

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Indexes of surgical quality in gastric cancer surgery: experience of Latvia Oncology Center'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this